Dental veneers are a cosmetic restorative treatment which can resolve several cosmetic dental issues, including permanent staining, chips, cracks, gaps and uneven teeth, as well as wear and tear. Surrey cosmetic dentist, Dr. Jeevan Gill, will design your veneers to appear natural and in proportion with your facial features, while protecting your teeth and creating a more even and attractive smile.
Veneers are tooth-shaped, thin shells, which are custom designed to fit to your natural teeth and are bonded securely to the surface of teeth.
Types of Dental Veneers
There are 2 main types of dental veneers on the market, composite resin and dental porcelain.
- Composite resin veneers are either directly bonded to the tooth and then shaped, or fabricated outside of the mouth and bonded to the teeth afterward. Composite veneers are a less expensive option than porcelain veneers.
- Porcelain veneers must be fabricated externally and bonded after the shaping. They are the most natural-looking option and also the most durable and resistant to staining.
Thin veneers are the ideal option for aging patients with worn teeth, because they can help to protect teeth from further damage. Veneers are also often used to fix small cosmetic imperfections on individual teeth, such as closing small gaps, or covering and protecting fractured individual teeth. At Radiant Dental, we can also perform a procedure whereby we layer several veneers to close the gap on larger spaces, or to fix teeth with large chips or cracks. Multi-layer veneer procedures also allow us to fix teeth that have been shortened by wear, or decay, fill in gaps between teeth that have been caused by gum recession, as well as helping to give your teeth a uniform colour, shape and arrangement. Our most common cosmetic use of veneers is on yellow teeth that are very difficult to whiten with other methods, so adding a layer of veneer allows us to quickly achieve the results you desire.
Dental Veneers – Two Visits, Three Steps
Typically, the porcelain veneer placement process takes place over the course of two visits, spaced out over two weeks.
- Gill will shave a thin layer of enamel off the front of your teeth to prepare them for the veneers.
- Next, he will take an impression of your teeth which he will send to a dental laboratory, where your custom veneers will be made. In some cases, temporary veneers will be attached to your teeth to protect them while your permanent veneers are being made.
3. Once your permanent veneers are ready, Dr. Gill will fit them to your teeth, make any required adjustments for a perfect fit, then bond them to your teeth.
Veneers usually last 10-15 years before needing to be replaced. Just like natural teeth they require proper everyday dental care, including regular brushing and flossing, to keep them and the teeth they are bonded to in good condition.
If you would like to improve the overall look of your smile, making your teeth whiter and more uniform, and you are wondering if dental veneers may be right for you, book an appointment to discuss dental veneers in Surrey with Dr. Jeevan Gill today.