Caring for your teeth and gums on a regular basis is the best way to prevent dental issues and promote dental health. In addition to the everyday care you take with your own oral hygiene routine, preventative dental care, including regular exams and cleanings, is how we maintain and protect your teeth and gums.
Benefits of Preventative Care
- Protect Teeth and Gums over time
- Prevent Damage and Disease
- Improve the aesthetic appearance of your teeth
- Prevent Bad Breath
- Detect problems early
Regular maintenance helps prevent periodontal disease, such as gingivitis, and tooth decay. During your regularly scheduled dental hygiene appointment, we remove the hard, chalky buildup between teeth and gums, called calculus, or tartar, which can lead to gum disease and decay if it is left to accumulate. Then we polish your teeth, thoroughly floss and apply a fluoride treatment to improve resistance to decay. Your teeth are left cleaner, shinier and whiter looking and you are left with a beautiful smile on your face!
During your hygiene visit, Dr. Gill will also perform a thorough dental exam, to check the teeth and gums for signs of disease and decay, as well as structural problems and even oral cancer. Catching any of these potential problems early is key to preventing more expensive and invasive dental procedures, as well as maintaining overall dental health. Dental hygiene appointments and dental exams should be scheduled a minimum of twice per year.
Preventative Care at Home
Between dental visits, it is important to establish a consistent oral hygiene routine, including these essential habits:
- Brush your teeth at least twice per day, in the morning and before bed. Ideally, brush after every meal, especially if you have consumed anything particularly sweet, or acidic.
- Floss twice per day when you brush your teeth
- Use a fluoride toothpaste to ensure proper cleaning and decay prevention.
- Limit consumption of highly acidic drinks, such as coffee, red wine and soda
At Radiant Dental, our priority is keeping your teeth and gums at their best and making sure that your smile is something you can be proud to show off. Call us today at 604-595-1575 to book your next dental appointment.